Education Work Group
Increase student attainment of certificates, degrees, and preparation for careers by guaranteeing post-secondary career pathway enrollment and support.
Alma Salazar | Senior Vice President, Center for Education Excellence & Talent Development, LA Chamber of Commerce
Esther Soliman | Linked Learning Administrator, LA Unified School District
Leticia Barajas | Vice President, Pathway Innovation & Institutional Effectiveness, LA Trade Tech College
Veronica Melvin | President & CEO, LA Promise Fund
SLATE-Z education ORGANIZER:
Collin Evenson | SLATE-Z AmeriCorps VISTA Resource Development Associate
GOALS AND ACTIVITIES
A. Educate students about college & aligned career pathways.
B. Increase work & career readiness among students by increasing summer job placements & other work-based learning opportunities.
C. Strengthen & expand dual enrollment & curricular alignment to increase degree & certificate completion.
D. Provide seamless transitions & coordinated academic & student support services to increase college completion rates.
SLATE-Z helped negotiate and is implementing the LA College Promise, a program providing one-year free community college to all LA Unified School District high school graduates. Additionally, SLATE-Z has expanded the number of Los Angeles Trade Technical College (LATTC) dual enrolled courses for SLATE-Z high school students by over 300% with over 125 courses on campus at LATTC, high schools, and throughout the community. Dual enrollment allows high school students to enroll in college courses for credit prior to high school graduation.
education work group PARTNERS
- All People's Community Center
- Archdiocesan Youth Employment Services
- Brotherhood Crusade
- California State University, Dominguez Hills
- Center for Powerful Public Schools
- Coalition for Responsible Community Development
- LA Opportunity Youth Collaborative, convened by the Alliance for Children's Rights
- Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
- LA Promise Fund*
- Los Angeles Trade Technical College*
- Los Angeles Unified School District
- LA Job Corps
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of Southern California
- YouthBuild Charter Schools of CA
*Indicates SLATE-Z Steering Committee Organization/Member.